Saturday, September 24, 2011

Little Labors

In the hierarchy of siblings, it is said that the oldest forages the path or the younger ones will follow. None of my siblings took similar paths but that’s not to say Camille didn’t do her part, she did more. She pointed us all in the right direction.
             It was the weekly grocery shopping trip with Mommy. We followed her like puppies fetching things for her and entertaining ourselves by trying not to step on the cracks of the square tiles. The end of the trip was the part that held the most anticipation for Sister and me. It’s when we took out all our pennies and nickels from our piggybanks and counted them up to see if we could buy a 33 cent candy bar at the checkout stand. Sister and I would make our bed and help Mommy with the dishes and she would reward us with coins for our little labors. Today… was not my day. I had forgotten to bring my pennies, but I don’t think I had enough anyways. Camille was responsible and hardworking, her pockets were full to bursting with coins. She didn’t just buy a candy bar, she bought a twinke! Those were 77 cents more expensive than a candy bar. I was impressed, and jealous. I pouted all the way home. I helped Mom bring in the groceries, Camille proceeded to the table and unwrapped her twinkies, there was two in a pack. I didn’t say anything. They were hers, but in my heart I was crying at the unfairness. She took a bite of one and the puffy, white cream gooed out the middle. I turned to walk away; I’ll go play by myself.
              “Mary,” her words called me back. “I don’t think I can eat both, do you want the other one?” at that moment in my three year old life, I thought that was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me.

          

1 comment: