I was getting frustrated with Rachel. I haven’t seen her open hostility personally, but I don’t think Camille would exaggerate a point like this. Camille has trouble with dating and love, I was so happy when Ryan started to take interest, and he treats her so well, leaving her notes, sneaking her snacks in class, making sack lunches taking her on creative picnics and adventures. And she seemed really happy. I met the guy a few weeks ago and loved him. I couldn’t tell he was interested in her then, it was a very low key “lets all decorate Halloween cookies together” sort of thing.
“She can’t say that,” I said to my contemplative sister. “She can’t diagnose a problem this close to home.” I personally thought she was jealous that Camille was so happy, with a boy, that she was probably going to marry.
After the last family wedding everyone started speculating who would get married next, somehow everyone skipped Camille and pointed to me. I think this kind of hurt her feelings. But it wasn’t looking like I was getting married any time soon and Camille was practically in love.
“But do you think that we are going to end up unhappy, that we’re not good for each other?” She looked at me with puppy dog eyes. She needs reassurance; it was hurting her to lose Rachel as a friend, even though Rachel was making her choose between her and Ryan. And Camille doesn’t come by friends easily. Not good ones, Rachel being exhibit A.
I was her friend though.
Always.
“I think if you guys want to make this work, then you will. And I see that happening.”
My words are more powerful than Rachel’s and Camille is pacified, for the evening.
My fave part:
ReplyDeleteI was her friend though.
Always.
That's how I want my girls to be.