Monday, November 7, 2011

You Two Must be Sisters


I thought Mom had called her, but apparently she just needed to go shopping. I hadn't gone real shopping in three weeks and I was running out of food. So I was thrilled when Camille called to see if I had wanted to come with her.
                “I don’t see you very often,” she says as we pull our carts out from the entrance. 
                “It’s because you’re married now,” I say as she grabs a cleaning wipe from the designated mechanism and sanitizes her cart. I risk the germs.
                We talk about her upcoming Halloween party and my need to find a date because everyone coming is married and it would be awkward to show up by myself.
                “Are you two sisters?” I half turn to see a large man in a stained mechanics shirt holding a sugar cone piled high with four scoops of ice-cream. It looked good.
                “Yes we are,” I answer.
                “I knew it, you look just like each other.” He continues just holding the ice-cream. “I saw you come in  and I thought, they have to be sisters.”
                “Which one of us do you think is older?” I ask to Camille’s annoyance. She was slowly edging her cart away from the large ice cream man.
                “Hmmmmm, I think she is,” he points at Camille. I smile,
                “Yep, and she’s married, show him your ring.” Camille smiles politely at him holding out her hand and then glares pointedly at me.
                “How long have you been married?”
                “Two months.”
                “Congratulations.”
                “Thank you, we’ll we’ d better be going, we have a time limit.” She looks pointedly at me again.
                “Have a nice day,” I say as Camille makes her escape.
                “You too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment